Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Unknowingly filling someones heart



Mood:Happy
Music: Stupid Girl-Pink

I guess sometimes we dont know the effect we can have on someone. People's paths cross for a reason. Sometimes we get that once in a lifetime chance to know that impact. It's a simple story that blew me away today. Which caused me to come back to my blog after sometime away from it. It used to be my release. Too depressed to even bother with it.
Back around xmas time I needed some mats cut for a craft project I did for my family. It was a wedding photo of my grandparents that I did some photoshop on to fix it up. The mats I needed for it were not going to be easy. I know, I designed the layout. After the first guy blew me off, another came up to me at the counter and saw I was stressing over this. He spoke with me a few minues about the project. It was very busy in the store that day. He gave me his work schedule and asked me to come back on one of those days. I was happy to know that someone had taken an interest in my project. Days were getting shorter till I went back home and had to have 5 of those frames put together. After some trial and error we came up with a better layout. Then my nose surgery took the forfront. How was I going to get these things in once more to get a finial cut. I was in no shape to get into the store. The silliest things, I sent "El Diablo" into the store with the items and his cell phone.. ahh it has a camera on it. It so him and Chris worked with it back and forth sending pics to me on the internet for approval. How odd, eh? Well it all worked out. When I was in better shape, I put everything together. I sat there and cried and it was breath taking. I could only hope the family would think the same way when they opened it on xmas.(They did) Chris has touched me more then I am sure he thought, he thought he was just doing his job. He went BEYOND what any person has given me in customer service. I have always loved doing things for people for no reason. But even more so then now. It was nothing big, so I thought at the time, just alittle something. I wrote him a thank you note with a gift card to a local resturant. He would of remembered me so I sent Kirby in with it. We found him, watched him for a minute. He walked away, we laid the card on the table. No go. Picked it up and had Kirby had it to him. I asked her what she said to him. Ma'ma she said.."A little elf told me you have been a very good boy and you deserve this." I was so proud of her for saying that. We left the store giggling that night and feeling good.
We would often see Chris in there from time to time when we would go in there, wondering if he knew who we where, "THE ELVES". I would always smile when I would see him.
Well, it is now April and I needed another mat cut for a project for work. I was hoping he was there. And he was. I saw him and said, " YOU are just the one I wanted to see." I said you helped me at xmas with a very special matting job. "Oh, YOU are the ELVES that gave me that card." "What, what are you taking about?" I said with a grin on my face.The look on his face was more then I expected. I thought after that we would get on with the project. It didn't, it took an UNEXPECTED turn. Chris went on to say how he showed his boss of the card. His boss then copied it and sent it to their HQ and they sent Chris a letter and a gift card. None of this would seem like a huge deal to anyone else. But as I listened to him speak, what I was there for just faded, I was fixated on him. He went on to speakof how lonely he was at Xmas time. His girlfriend of many years left him. He was a recovering drug addict, fighting to find himself. He spoke as if he was at the end of his rope at the time. There were other things he spoke of, better job, schooling.etc. He told me that little card brought him joy and made him feel like someone, even if for that moment. Now anyone that knows me, knows at this point my heart is swelling with hurt and joy at the same time. Trying not to cry in front of him. I just wanted to hug him. Instead I held out my hand, "Chris, I am Lauren, and I am sure I will be seeing you again." I got to the regiester and started to cry, I just had to get to the car. When I did, OH BOY! I let the tears go. To know I made a differance in someone's life, especially when he felt so low. And a stranger cared enough to say thank you. I almost scrapped this project for my boss, because he is such an ass. But there was a reason I didn't. I think things happen for a reason. This one was to meet Chris. G*d has plans that we don't know about. Tonight changed me inside. Don't stop doing the little, it maybe the world to someone else. I would often think of Chris has I look at the photo of my grandparents on my wall with that matting he helped me with. But it even means more to me know, knowing what I know. And my boss will never know of the great guy I met tonight while getting his damn gift put togther. Which means not a whole lot to me for the way he treats people, but means the world to me to know I gave someone a flutter in their heart.!

"DON'T LET THE CHAIN OF LOVE END WITH YOU....PASS IT ON!!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home